The Lady Willingdon Hospital was started in 1935 as a one room dispensary by the then Vicerene, Lady Willingdon. She had travelled to Manali and found no facilities here for the medical care of its inhabitants. She responded to the request of local people for a dispensary by arranging money for this purpose. The local people made a one room dispensary. On the 20th of November, 1935, this hospital was inaugurated by her.
For the past seventy five years, this hospital has provided solace and healing for the inhabitants of this region. It is currently the only viable health facility providing specialised services to the people of this valley.